30 examples of Duterte’s sexist remarks #BabaeAko
The #BabaeAko social media campaign to fight the sexist remarks and misogynistic behavior of President Duterte is gaining so much ground. Tonyo Cruz said it so well “Ang husay ng #BabaeAko campaign: Mabilis na naengage at nalagay in the defensive ang taga-Palasyo at mga payaso. Misogynists always pretend to be pro-women than women or more enlightened than women — to cover up their misogyny..”
I also tweeted about it :
I am a mother of two strong women , a blogger and a Filipino. I condemn Duterte and other people in government who issue sexist remarks and exhibit misogynistic behaviors. My girls , our women and I deserve better. Watch me fight back ! #BabaeAko.
And even posted a facebook update:
I am a mother of 2 strong women. I condemn Duterte’s string of demeaning statements vs women. My girls , our women & I deserve better. #BabaeAko
Both updates received positive and negative feedback. Of course, Duterte’s supporters were quick to defend him instead of calling out the demeaning statements uttered by the President . Even Bong Go, his presidential assistant, believes it is clearly political.
Someone asked me “What did he say this time? I’ve lost track?”. Even before the #BabaeAKO Campaign, BlogWatch through RJ Barrete , compiled a collection of some of the transcripts of the President’s speeches that interprets his portrayal of women but Gibby Gorres listed down a lot more based on media interviews and remarks to the public:
In solidarity with #BabaeAko, here’s a compilation of President Duterte’s sexist remarks (some preceding his rise to power).
This thread is to demonstrate that there is no doubt that that the President is a sleazy, dirty, old man whose character is always sexist and misogynist.
— Gibby Gorres (@gibbygorres) May 26, 2018
Let me list it down for easier reading combined with links to news reference.
1. Remark on his girlfriend, November 5, 2015
“Ano naman ang biyahe natin sa buhay nating dalawa? SUNDUIN KITA SA BOARDING HOUSE MO, PASOK TAYO NG MOTEL, SHORT TIME LANG NAMAN.”
(I said, no more. What are the trips we take anyway? I just pick you up from your boarding house, we go inside a motel, it’s only ‘short time.’)
2. On how getting elected as President won’t stop him from womanizing, November 30, 2015
“Kung may magagandang naghihintay diyan sa labas (ng Malacanang), buksan ko yung pinto ng kwarto ko”.
(I will open all the books of Malacañang. If there are beautiful women waiting outside, I will open the door to my room.)
3. On the Australian missionary who was raped and murdered, April 12, 2016
“Tiningnan ko yung mukha, tangina parang artista… Nagalit ako kasi nirape. PERO NAPAKAGANDA, DAPAT ANG MAYOR MUNA ANG NAUNA. SAYANG”.
“Nirape nila lahat ng mga babae so ‘yung unang asolte, kasi nagretreat sila, naiwan yung ginawa nilang cover, ang isa doon yung layminister na Australyana. Tsk, problema na ito. Pag labas, edi binalot. Tiningnan ko yung mukha, ‘tangina parang artista sa America na maganda. Putangina, sayang ito. Ang nagpasok sa isip ko, nirape nila, pinagpilahan nila doon. Nagalit ako kasi nirape, oo isa rin ‘yun . Pero napakaganda, dapat ang mayor muna ang mauna. Sayang.”
(All the women were raped so during the first assault, because they retreated, the bodies they used as a cover, one of them was the corpse of the Australian woman layminister. Tsk, this is a problem. When the bodies were brought out, they were wrapped. I looked at her face, son of a bitch, she looks like a beautiful American actress. Son of a bitch, what a waste. What came to mind was, they raped her, they lined up. I was angry because she was raped, that’s one thing. But she was so beautiful, the mayor should have been first. What a waste.)
4. Speech during Cine Lokal grand launch, April 12, 2016
“I lifted the blanket. Then? I lifted it higher and I, just touched her. Okay I can understand you. Here’s the punishment, Our Father, Hail Mary. But what did you do after? I went to the bathroom. And? You know. So that was the only… No, father. Why? I went back and peeped a little longer. Ang what… I went back to the bathroom again. Again?”
5. “DRAMA QUEEN” – Rodrigo Duterte’s description of her daughter Sara after she revealed that she was raped, April 20, 2016
“She has a gun. She can’t be raped”.
6. Duterte catcalls GMA News anchor and reporter Mari Zumali during a press briefing, June 2, 2016
7. During his presidency, Duterte ogled Vice President Leni Robredo’s legs during a cabinet meeting, November 8, 2016
“…She was wearing a skirt, her tuhod, was walang ano (no callouses). Sabi ko, hindi nagsisimba ito”. – hinting on the VP & the act of fellatio.
8. Duterte raved about how seeing a beautiful woman makes him two years younger. March 7, 2017
“Mabuti na lang every time na makakita ako ng maganda medyo bumabalik ako sa edad, pababa,” he said, to the amusement of his audience.
(It’s good that every time I see a beautiful woman, my age lowers.)
9. Duterte tells former Agriculture undersecretary Romulo-Puyat to close her legs so as not to distract him. March 7, 2o17
“Berna, nadi-distract ako, you close your legs. National TV, no”.
10. Duterte tells UN Special Rapporteur Agnes Callamard, May 10, 2017
“She should go to a honeymoon with that black guy, the American… I will pay for their travel.”
11. Duterte tells soldiers stationed in Mindanao that it’s ok to rape at most three women, May 27, 2017
“If you happen to have raped three women, I will own up to it”.
12. Duterte to former US first daughter Chelsea Clinton, May 31, 2017
“Sabihin ko sa kanya, when your father then was screwing Lewinsky and the girls there in the White House, how did you feel? Did you slam your father?”
(“When your father, the President of the United States, was s—ing Lewinsky and the girls there in the White House, how did you feel? Did you slam your father?”)
13. Duterte jokes about raping Miss Universe, July 16, 2017
“You can mess with, maybe a Miss Universe. Maybe I will even congratulate you for having the balls to rape somebody when you know you are going to die”.
READ: Duterte and portrayal of women in 10 of his speeches
14. Duterte adds to the sex video rumor about Senator Leila De Lima, even without any ounce of proof, August 10, 2017
“Yung video. Hindi niyo tinignan anong klaseng babae yan? And they come here and say na she’s a prisoner of conscience? Mygod!”
15. Duterte’s fixation on Senator Leila de Lima, August 18, 2016
“Here is an immoral woman… who funded the house of her lover. Those money came readily from drugs”.
More than a year after her detention, no credible evidence has been presented that links the lady Senator to the drug trade.
16. “Sinong sexist? Sinong ayaw ng magandang babae? ” , August 17, 2017
– Duterte during a speech at Ozamiz Polic Station
17. Duterte continues his sexist tirade against UN Agnes Callamard, August 30, 2017
“DAUGHTER OF A WHORE! TELL HER! DON’T SHE DARE SCARE ME. SHE’S AN IDIOT!”
18, Duterte continues his sexist tirade against Senator Leila de Lima , October 14, 2017
“Alam mo, totoo sa totoo lang, PRISONER KA SA LIBOG MO. Diyan nag-umpisa lahat eh, your adulterous relation!”
Up to now, no credible evidence vs De Lima on drug trade.
19. Duterte insults policewomen during San Beda Law Grand Alumni Homecoming, November 26, 2017
“Those are the things that are really what makes life nicer… pati yung mga babae na pulis pinaghahampas ko yan pag — putangina, ginaganun ko”.
20. “Hindi pwedeng magdala ng asawa. Kabit ang [laughter] para mas maganda ang labanan”. December 1, 2017
– transcript of Duterte’s speech at Camp Bautista
21. “Mas mabuti yung magbili ako ng medisina para pampaganda ng mga babae. Para yung kutis, gumanda. Maligaya pa tayo manood sa kanila”. December 20, 2017
– Duterte in a media interview in Pasig.
22. Duterte jokes that only the ugly women should’ve died during Typhoon Yolanda, January 25, 2018
“Tingin ako sa langit, sabi ko, ‘Lord sana ‘yung mga pangit lang ang namatay na. Ang magaganda huwag sana. Sabi ni Lord, ‘Okay lang.”
(I looked up to the sky and said, “Lord, I hope only the ugly died. I hope the beautiful ones did not. The Lord said, ‘That’s okay.’”)
23. Duterte offers 42 virgins as a come-on to tourists during his travel to India, January 26, 2018
“I’d also like to offer 42 virgins as a come-on for those who’d like to go to my country”.
24, Duterte compares foreign women and Filipina women, February 6, 2018
“Sa malayo, maganda, exotic eh. ‘Di mo nakikita pero paglapit mo, queer na ang amoy. No, no, no, no, no. Balik tayo sa kwarto…Faithful ako sa Filipina. Marami lang sila pero faithful ako. ‘Di naman kailangan isa lang. [laughter] Basta faithful ako sa Filipina. Mabango eh.”
(From afar, they are beautiful because they are exotic. You don’t sense it but once you’re near, their odor is queer. No, no, no, no. Let’s go back to the room….I’m faithful to the Filipina. There are many of them but I’m faithful. It doesn’t have to be just one woman. I’m faithful to the Filipina because they’re fragrant.)
25. President Duterte orders soldiers to shoot women in the vagina
“Order bag-o ni mayor. Di lang daw mo patyon. Pusilon lang mo sa bisong arong—’ Og wa na ma’y bisong, wa na ma’y silbi.”
(There’s a new order coming from Mayor. We won’t kill you. We will just shoot your vagina, so that – if there is no vagina, it would be useless.)
Watch this video.
26. PCOO transcript of Duterte’s speech in a meeting with local chief executives, February 12, 2018
“Kung sino may gusto ng extrajudicial killing at gusto pumunta ng impyerno tutal andoon naman… lahat ng babae. Wala sa langit yan. Langit pangit. Lahat yan magaganda. Sus.”
27. “May pills libre… wag yang condom kasi hindi masarap yang condom” , February 13, 2018
Duterte welcoming OFWs from Kuwait
28. Duterte asking for a raise because he has two wives, February 24, 2018
“I get so tired and you know how much I warn? 200. I have two wives”
– during a Malacanang briefing
29. Duterte: Next Ombudsman should not be a politician – and definitely not a woman, May 26, 2018
“They will nominate, but I will choose, and I want a person who is admired by people because of his integrity. Of course it could not be a politician, especially not a woman.”
30. Responding to the #BabaeAko social media campaign against misogyny and sexism, May 24, 2018
“Sabi ko nga ayaw ko ng babae, eto naman, kami ay mga babae. Mga babae nga kayo so anong problema?”
(I believe in woman, the competence, capability. Pero hindi lahat sa buhay dapat. Hindi. Dapat lang, it’s not appropriate. You cannot stand threats and intimidation)
Anything that I might have missed out?
Credits to Gibby Gorres for 1-28 list. I added the links to the list.